Right, so this is the team of which players aren’t going to be Hurricanes this week:
- Kitshoff – the easy picks this year are Kitshoff, Tupou and Alaalatoa at prop, who will probably be top 3. I’ll take ginger at home again this week. If you want to gamble then Lomax from the Hurricanes could go off. but you might even find someone like Fidow comes off the bench to a tired Sunwolves team and has some runs.
- Asafo Aumua – Risky pick, and clearly only one for this week, but big upside this week due to his combative running style, similar in many ways to Tupou. If he gets some space he can rack up some broken tackles and yards.
- Tupou – easy because Alaalatoa is on a bye.
- PSDT – Lock is just a pretty nothing position this year unfortunately. From a points perspective, PSDT might be your best bet, but I wouldn’t take him because he’s just losing $$$, but frankly there’s no-one else that interests me this week.
- Petti – I’m going to struggle to move away from Petti as a starter week in week out.
- Wilson – Reds at home again against a good Sharks side, Wilson have been solid and should be busy with the tackles this week.
- Fifita – I think you take a flyer on a Hurricane here, I’ll take Fifita’s upside over Kirifi, but both have good open field games. If you want a non-Hurricane option Jaco Coetzee is a nice home pick this week.
- Naisarani – Solid season pick.
- Herschel Jantjies / TJ Perenara – Coin flip this week between most likely the top 2 scoring SHs. Can’t go wrong either way,
- Ioane – FH is a tricky one this week. I was going to take Willemse over Bosch, largely based on home advantage, but keep an eye on weather. If it’s going to be wet in Cape Town, the maybe look to Bosch. However, with Ioane kicking, and the Highlanders being 2 biggest point favourite I think he edges it.
- Lam – Upside is enormous as long as they get him the ball. Might not be helped by the fact Tiatia is playing and for most of last season Tiatia was allergic to passing the ball.
- Laumape – Should be everyone’s VC this week. Should go off against the Sunwolves as long as he’s not subbed off before the Wolves tire.
- Aso – Kind of guy that will pop up, get 2 tries this week, then be back to bench duty. If you want a longer term option, then Thompson is a good play this week, or Reiko is back.
- Nareki – Been the form player for the Highlanders, will continue to increase in value.
- TiaTia – Should get big points this week. If you want a non-Hurricane pick, then Jock Campbell offers a solid base given he’s kicking, he’s just a little pricey.
Vice Captain – Depends a little on your team, you could take a flyer on Nareki, or Laumape/Lam are the safe options.
Captain – Laumape/Lam if you VC the the early game, but if you VC a Hurricane you’re then at a little more risk with the later games, and you might have to Jantjies, Willemse, Bosch, Reiko, Jock Campbell if you go those options.
In summary, you’re probably safer VC-ing someone in the Highlanders came and having the cane’s as a back-up.